The Lane House is on the National
Register of Historic Places and represents a portion of this town's heritage.
It was originally built in 1850 by Charles and Mabel Lane and then was passed
on to their son, Edward. The Lanes operated the family owned Littleton Coal Company.
At the time of Edward's death in 1977, the residence was willed to the Littleton
Regional Hospital with intent that the money be used for a specific purpose and
designated as a memorial to his mother, Mabel.
This former residence signifies
the evolution of prosperity that the town of Littleton saw in the 1800s. During
this time, Littleton evolved from a community dependent upon its agricultural
resources to a community that developed wealth from new industries and manufacturing.
The Greek Revival style of the original building of the Lane House typifies the
style of a dignified agrarian community during the first half of the 19th century.
the last quarter of the 19th century, Littleton prospered greatly due to the growth
of local factories and an increase of tourism to the region. Main Street and the
surrounding residential areas in Littleton evolved from a modest built environment
to a thriving community. The Queen Anne style addition to the original Greek Revival
residence represents the wealth and prosperity of this region.