Those who live in Scarborough, Maine appreciate this diverse community that has a commitment to quality of life and the environment. Scarborough is located in southern Maine, approximately 7 miles south of the city of Portland, making it a short drive to Portland and the Maine Mall.
There is easy access to the Maine Turnpike, Portland Jetport and rail service to Boston and points south. Scarborough also offers lovely accessible sandy beaches and the rocky coastline in addition to its open spaces, parks and recreational areas.
- Bessey Square, adjacent to Bessey Commons, has a coffee shop, Scarborough Grounds, a hair salon, Gallery Hair Design and a restaurant, O'Reilly's Cure.
- The Scarborough Village Square is a new development within a half mile that has been recently approved and will house a variety of retail spaces as well including Walmart Supercenter, Lowes, and Grander Mountain (a sporting goods/outdoor recreational store).
- Oak Hill Plaza is less than a half mile from Bessey Commons. Located in the plaza there are banks, a hardware store, a beauty salon, and a barber shop.
- The Hannaford Shopping Center is located 5/8 of a mile from Bessey Commons and includes a Hannaford Brothers grocery store, pharmacy, Hallmark store, and other retail shops.
There are opportunities for employment at local retail stores, the Maine Veterans Home, five branch banks, a variety of restaurants, as well as professional offices such as doctors, dentists, accountants, and lawyers within a half mile of Bessey Commons.
- The Scarborough Town Park is located directly across the street, where concerts and special activities for seniors are hosted each week in the summer
- Scarborough Beaches
- Springbrook Park
- Memorial Park at Oak Hill
- Scarborough Eastern Trail
- Ice Rink
- Jennnie & Isaac E. Wiley Recreation Area
- Scarborough River Wildlife Sanctuary
Currently, the Biddeford-Saco Shuttle Bus provides eight round trip fixed-route transit runs Monday through Friday and four on Saturday from Biddeford-Saco and Old Orchard Beach to downtown Portland via Route 1. The Shuttle makes scheduled stops at Pine Point-West Grand, Dunstan Corner, and Oak Hill. The Shuttle operates a fleet of five buses, with four in regular service and one kept as a spare.
The Scarborough High School is located across the street from Bessey Commons and hosts concerts, plays and dance performances in the Winslow Homer Auditorium.